Friday 12 March 2010

Etiquette and Hats

Well I say,

Things have got off to a rather tremendous start! The facebook group now stands at a rather tremendous one hundred and fifty five members, the challenges have come flooding in as have the recommendations of hats, and thanks to some very generous individuals we have reached thirteen percent of the first target of five hundred pounds! Thank you all for your noble generosity!

So, first and foremost, hats. There have been suggested a variety of hats, namely, the pith helmet, for that British explorer look, the bowler, for the city gent look, the fedora, for Indiana Jones style jungle venturing, the homburg, apparently rated just below the top hat and above the bowler and fedora in terms of formality, and finally a rather dashing bonnet…

I am delighted to inform you that I have received a top hat as a gift and this has paved the way for the first instalment of “Rate My Hat!” which will be with you shortly!

In addition to this I have been reading about the etiquette surrounding hats, and there’s a great deal to it. I shall be wearing my hat around town shortly and trying my best to conform to the etiquette, will I succeed in being the most charming and courteous hatted gentleman in Durham or will there be some kind of dread full faux pas resulting in my exclusion from all but the most bass of social circles. We’ll find out next tuesday!

The rules I shall try to be adhering to are here for your delectation,

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/etiquette_for_hats_and_caps.htm

However should you be knowledgeable in the wearing (and indeed not wearing) of hats and take umbrage with the rules do let me know.

A veritable swarm of challenges have come flooding in ranging from leaping out of aeroplanes, to photographic scavenger forays, to botanical battles against invasive species. Do keep suggesting ideas. And if any of you have an inflatable shark, or indeed a shark costume, do get in touch…

With such exciting progress it is almost time to send word to her majesty!

Back soon with “Rate My Hat!” and of course details of the first ever ascent of Mt Roraima by Mr Everard im Thurn and Mr Henry Inness Perkins in 1884!

Until next time!

Alistair Linsell- Gentleman Adventurer!

No comments:

Post a Comment