Friday 12 March 2010

First Letter to Her Majesty the Queen!

What ho followers!

Behold the new and shiny "Challenge a Gentleman Adventurer" Blogspot!

Have no fear if you use Livejournal as the livejournal will update as usual! If you're new then here is the original announcement that explains what this is all about and do join the facebook group. If you want to make a donation click here!

Good news! My top hat has been returned safely!

I have acquired a camera and so the long awaited "Rate My Hat" will be with you on Monday.

Enjoy the letter, and enjoy the weekend,

Yours truly,

Alistair Linsell- Gentleman Adventurer!

------
Thursday 25th February 2010

Your Majesty,

If Your Majesty may permit me to introduce myself, I am Alistair Linsell- gentleman adventurer and your humble subject, and were I in front of you I assure you I would have taken off my hat. I am writing to inform you (as all good gentleman adventurers should) of my current exciting exploits!

Allow me to elaborate a little. I am a young man of twenty one years of age currently studying the fascinating subject of chemistry at Durham University. I have a passion for science and thoroughly enjoy sharing that passion with the world.

I have entered a competition entitled “The Lost World Project”. The challenge is simple; to raise as much money as possible for twelve charities. The prize; to be part of an expedition to make a documentary on Mt Roraima, the mountain that inspired Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s novel “The Lost World”.

The lost world…

A plateau surrounded by sheer cliffs, the land from the Arthur Conan Doyle novel, the land described by its first explorer, Sir Everard Im Thurn as “some strange country of nightmares”. A land that is clearly not for the faint hearted and a unique land that is in need of protection.

To raise money for these charities, working to protect mount Roraima, and to put myself in the running for such a prize, I have resolved to become Alistair Linsell, Gentleman Adventurer, and undertake three sponsored tasks.

These tasks are thus-

I shall endeavour to attend a lecture at the royal society of chemistry (for all noted adventurers have some official body which they are affiliated to, from which they springboard their adventures). I shall endeavour to take tea, from a china tea set, on top of Snowdon (for there is no drink more civilised than tea, and where better to drink it than on top of a mountain). AND I shall endeavour to undertake a further challenge issued by the good people of the internet!

It may please Your Majesty to learn that things have gotten off to a terrific start! Thanks to a host of generous individuals we have already raised six hundred pounds. This has smashed my first target of five hundred pounds, and filled me with optimism for the venture! As such I have put out a second target of two thousand pounds.

I have established a group of one hundred and seventy five followers on the internet site Facebook, and these fine people have had no shortage of suggestions for the final challenge. Suggestions have ranged from jumping out of an aeroplane in gentleman finery, to duelling a noted swordsman, to wrestling a shark and surviving to tell the tale.

I have to say that the shark wrestling (and surviving) may be a bit too difficult for me, unless of course, it was a basking shark. However since they are peaceful animals, it simply would not be gentlemanly to randomly start a fight with a passing basking shark.

One other suggestion was to heist a famous jewel for sport and then return it. I don’t suppose Your Majesty could spare a few of the crown jewels could you ma’am?

… Actually, forget I mentioned it.

Perhaps Your Majesty has a suggestion for a challenge? Maybe there is a chandelier of Your Majesty’s which hasn’t been swung from recently, perhaps there has been a suspicious cloaked figure hanging around Westminster recently that require investigating, or perhaps Your Majesty simply would like a dashing twenty one year old to bring her a paper one morning.

I do have one question for Your Majesty, which is what is Your Majesty’s favourite tea? As we shall be taking tea on the top of Snowdon the tea leaf is an important consideration. Personally I’m an Assam man myself though I’m certainly interested in trying something new, does Your Majesty have a recommendation?

It has been a pleasure writing to Your Majesty. I shall write again soon with an update on my progress!

Your faithful subject,

Alistair Linsell- Gentleman Adventurer!

No comments:

Post a Comment